Monday, June 20, 2011

A New Approach: Grains

Grains include wheat, barley, oatmeal, rice, and corn.  They are divided into 2 groups: whole or refined and are a source of carbohydrates.  Our body's main source of fuel comes from carbs.  However, those carbs should come from vegetables, fruits, and nuts/seeds.  Our bodies were not designed to process all the pastas, grains, beans, sugars, and processed foods we eat at every meal/snack or in the drinks we consume.



I recently began a new approach to my diet.  Back in January, I went on a detox and removed wheat, caffeine, dairy, soy, peanuts, vinegar, and anything processed.  I did that for 4 weeks.  After the initial detox, I never re-introduced wheat, soy, peanuts, and processed foods were sparingly.  I do, however, enjoy my cup of joe (caffeine) daily and use vinegar sparingly.
As a result, the only grains I was getting were from oat bran, wheat bran, brown rice ( of which I used brown rice protein powder or brown rice pasta) or my 'cheat meal' if I decided to have grains.   I have been reading up on grains and how they affect the body.  Within the past 2 weeks, I have omitted all grains from my diet (including brown rice, breads, and pastas).




Since doing so, I have noticed my energy levels have increased and my stomach doesn't get bloated.  Yay! Now, I do enjoy a cheat meal once a week and if I decide to have my grains or pasta, it will be brown rice indeed!  Some may notice that this type of approach is similar to the paleo diet.  I don't follow that to a 'T' or I din't intend to 'follow' a diet.  I go by my own approach and do what works for me.  This may not be for everyone.  I am just giving you my take on what I have been doing and the results of that.  And just so you know, I do get my carbs mostly from veggies and then fruits, so I am not without a carb source.   I would recommend that you try if for 2 weeks and see how you feel.  Would love to hear your thoughts/questions.

http://www.livingpaleo.com/avoiding-grains-part-1/

No comments:

Post a Comment